While golfing is a leisurely activity, a golf cart is a vehicle at the end of the day. Getting more performance from any vehicle is fun and, in some cases, also necessary. If you want to improve the level of speed that golf carts can achieve, then you can certainly do so in multiple ways.
For anyone looking to take on such a project with a Yamaha gas golf cart, this guide will prove to be quite useful as each method is proven to work effectively in improving the performance of any gas power golf cart, including Yamaha golf carts.
Read on to learn more about making a Yamaha gas golf cart faster.
There are several proven ways that you can use to improve the speed of your Yamaha golf carts. You can reduce the weight by removing unnecessary equipment and accessories, removing the factory-installed speed restrictor, using high-quality tires, and keeping it clean to see the speed golf carts can reach.
1. Cart Accessories That Can Be Taken Out
If you have a “kitted out” golf cart, there is likely a reason for why you chose to do that. However, the more accessories you add to your golf cart, the less speed it would be able to reach. To change that, you will need to completely clean up anything extra that you may be carrying.
- A lot of users like to carry around coolers with them to keep their beverages cold while they are on the course. Switching to a smaller cooler or removing it completely can be helpful in reducing the weight significantly.
- If you are carrying extra clubs or ones that you almost never use, they could also help reduce the weight
- Some carts also come with extra batteries for longer life and if a long travel time is not your biggest concern, then you could reduce the number of batteries you have connected.
- Carrying extra passengers can also reduce the ability of your golf cart to go fast, so going solo might be considered as well but that is purely a personal decision.
2. Remove the Restrictor Rod
Yamaha also installs a restrictor rod in their golf carts to stop the golf cart from going at the highest speed that it can achieve. This can be easily changed by opening the area underneath the gas pedal. Once you open it, you will find a rod behind the pedal that stops you from pushing it all the way. All you need to remove this is a wrench and a screwdriver. The entire process takes 10-15 minutes, and you can restore the full power and make your Yamaha gas golf cart faster.
3. Switch to Better Quality Tires
This is one of the easiest and most economical ways that you can use to improve the speed of your golf cart and it is not just limited to gas Yamaha golf carts either. The larger the tire you use, the more speed your cart will be able to achieve when driving. However, be sure not to go too big as the tires also need to fit under the carriage easily without rubbing against the body. (1)
If you do want to go bigger, you might need to install a lift kit that will add a few inches of extra space under the body to accommodate bigger tires.
Another thing to keep in mind when installing new tires is to check the pressure and make sure that it is not below the recommended PSI for your specific tire of choice. Having low pressure in the tires can reduce speed which you do not want.
4. Have a Lightweight and Clean Cart
Believe it or not, you can pick up quite a lot of weight when cruising around the course. All the mud and grime that accumulates on the tires and the body is extra weight that slows down your cart significantly. This is especially true for tires, as having mud stuck in the grooves can cause your cart to lose its grip and slip instead of going faster. (2)
Hose down your cart before driving it to clear any dirt, mud, or grime that may be present on the body and tires. Using soap is also important as a lot of mud can get dry and become hard, making it difficult to remove with water.
Change the Engine
This is optional, but if you want to see a big difference in speed, you can remove the current engine in your gas Yamaha golf carts and use one with more CCs. The larger engine will have more power which in turn will let you go much faster. Of course, always consult a professional before doing this so that it is not a safety hazard for you.
Take a look at some of our related articles below.
- How long does it take a golf cart to charge
- How much does it cost to wrap a golf cart
- Homemade club car lift kit
(1) driving – https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insights/auto-and-vehicles/teen-driving-101-a-stepbystep-test-of-essential-skills
(2) mud – https://www.britannica.com/science/mud-geology